The History of AHS
Austin High School was founded September 13, 1881.
It is one of the oldest public high schools west of the Mississippi
and the first public high school in the state of Texas. When our
Class of '63 attended Austin High, it was located on the corner of
12th and Rio Grande. We were within walking distance of the Capitol,
downtown, and the University. This picture of the AHS was on our
commencement announcement in 1963:
In 1973, construction began on a new location at
1715 West First Street. The first day of school at the new location,
named Lakeside Campus, was August 25, 1975. Here is recent photo of
the Lakeside Campus:
The building we attended now houses Austin Community
College, Rio Grande Campus.